CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Eulogy for my Grandfather (aka Grampy)

My grandfather's 93 year journey through life ended on Saturday 10/29... I read the following eulogy at his services last night:::

     To many of you, this special man was "just Harry", the friend. To us, he was a Dad of 3, a Grandfather of 4, and recently a Great Grandfather of 5. Even those who only knew him as "just Harry" know he was much more than a regular man.

     So, here lies my struggle. How am I supposed to capture who he was in words? It feels like there aren't any words appropriate enough to measure his greatness.

     My husband said "Grampy was a great man, intelligent, knowledgeable and that he was a better man for knowing him". I was touched when my husband said these beautiful words. And, he only had the privelege of knowing Grampy for 6 years.

     In my 31 years the memories are rich and joyous. I'd spent some of the greatest summers of my life with Grampy and Grammy. We played board games, took family vacations, had outings all filled with endless laughter. But, 31 years was not enough. Call me selfish, but, I'd take another 31. I want my children and his other great grandchildren to have their hearts as full of love and laughter with memories as we, his grandchildren and children do.

     If you knew him for 50 years, 15 years or even 5 minutes you knew the magic of Harry. His kindness and compassion was something to admire. His laughter was contagious as was his smile. And while I may not have found all of the words to capture who Grampy was - its enough to know what it was that made him shine for 93 years.

                      We Love You Grampy.



4 comments:

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Sorry about your sweet grandfather. The eulogy was beautiful.

Candice said...

That's beautiful. From your words, I could only imagine how great of a person he is. My thoughts are with you and your family!

PhoebeInWonderland said...

This was beautiful, Kendra. Thank you for posting it. Much love to you and Jason and the kids. <3

Kayla said...

I am sorry for your loss sweety!