CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 11, 2010

No.

No. It seems like such a simple utterance.

Do you want chopped liver for dinner? NO I do not.
Let's bungee jump from the top of that building .NO Way!
Have you lost weight? NO... I just hide it well.

Well..."No" with toddlers is never plain and simple.

When Mommy (or Daddy, or Grandma, or Aunt...get my point?) says NO to a toddler it still means "Um...Yes" or "Who do you think you are telling me what to do" or "Whatever ::insert eye roll here::"

EXAMPLE:

Paige enjoys pulling the little card out of our cable box. As she approaches she receives numerous "Paige- no, no no!" To which she responds by turning around, glaring and shaking her pointer finger saying "NNNNN".... just before pulling out the card and running away.

EXAMPLE 2:

Connor, no more jumping off the couch (onto the pile of pillows you've created)... His response?
A side eye glance followed by a hearty jump off the couch with even more flair and drama than his last 300 jumps.

Now...there is the opposite effect of NO with a toddler as well.
When a TODDLER says NO it means
NO OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE ASKING ME TO DO _____________. I WILL NEVER NO WAY NOT IN A MILLION YEARS COOPERATE WITH YOU AND THATS FINAL!

4 comments:

Gina said...

My son has now adopted the phrase "No way" when I ask him to do something. Life with a 2-year-old is fun times!! LOL!!

Jenn said...

so true! I asked A to pick up some toys this morning and I got "No, not right now". Which really means never.

Sippy Cup Mom said...

LOL, SO true! I have started saying stop which is starting to help.

Kayla said...

I feel your pain! Everything is NO for Potato! Grrr! Even when I ask for kisses.