Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Final Day in the Hospital.

(I didn't forget to finish the saga...just hadn't gotten around to it!)

Anyway -- so, to review - we thought we were being sent home Sunday, but Paige had a mucous plug which can be quite dangerous if not cleared from her airways in time (if she is unable to clear it herself) so we were told that discharged would be put off for a day.

Paige decided that Sunday night she didn't want to sleep we were up until 1 a.m. - not really fussing but just awake...ready for action - so her and I sat up and watched The Notebook on TV.

Finally we both settle in and drift off to sleep -- (roughly around 1) when I am awakened by loud shuffling around in the room - its about 2:30 a.m. and the shuffling is a roommate coming in to our room. Grrrr..... sorry kid, I know you're sick but I am trying to sleep here.

Monday finally arrives and luckily Jason brought me a huuuuuuuuuuuge cup of coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

Monday was actually fairly uneventful (THANK GOD!!!!!!). The doctor came in fairly early in the morning and said that Paige just had 2 goals to reach before they would allow her to be discharged - so we wouldn't know officially if Paige was being discharged until 4 pm... an long day of waiting ahead.

Her goals for the day 1) only be suctioned with the bulb aspirator (not their 'vacuum powered' suctioner) and 2) Paige had to switch from the 50% formula 50% pedialyte to 75% 25% then finally 100% formula again.

We slowly but surely met those goals...but was just waiting...waiting for 4 o'clock to arrive to find out weather or not we could really leave!

So, as I mentioned earlier Monday was uneventful - Paige napped, I napped (to make up for the lack of sleep the night before)... and finally....4 p.m. comes and the clock is just ticking as we wait for someone to come in and tell us the verdict.

Finally, Rita (our nurse all weekend) comes in and..........

We are going home!!!!!!!!

and, I must add that I am grateful to the staff at Vassar for truly being caring and concerned - and taking the time to learn and remember our names and story...

No comments: