CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 11, 2009

Do you remember?


Growing up I always heard stories of how adults remember exactly where they were when Kennedy was assassinated, or where they were when man first walked on the moon. I never thought I'd have my own "I remember exactly where I was..." story to share.

September 11, 2001 I was sleeping in my dorm room suite(a senior in college) when one of my roommates came knocking on all or our doors to wake up, and insisted we get up to watch the news. Since we're in NY, and many of us within 1 hour of the city - she realized it was quite possible that one of us may know someone involved in this terrible tragedy.

As all of us, 8 students from all different religious, racial and ethnic backgrounds sat on the couches in the main area watching the horrible events on the news you could hear a pin drop. None of us knew what to say. No one knew what to think. We were horrified. Terrified. Sick to our stomachs with fear and uncertainty.

Do we carry on with our day and go to class? Maybe we should think of a way to help! But, how?? Well, some of us trudged on to our daily classes to find that slowly but surely teachers were cancelling classes - but offering to stay around in case anyone needed someone to talk to.

I can only hope that the end of these sad "I remember exactly where I was" stories comes soon. I do not wish my children a world of fear, violence and uncertainty. I want them to only remember where they were in times of strength, laughter and joy.

In the meantime, let's hold on tight, remember those who were lost and move ahead together to forge a better future for the little ones we love so dearly.

No comments: