CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Power of Words

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a running internal monologue as they do household chores. Well, sometimes, those internal monologues become something that I find sentimental, thought provoking or just plain old interesting.

Over the weekend I was trying to tidy up the bedroom while the baby was napping. I was actually thinking of a witty "Status Message" to post on Facebook (cheesy, I know). The things that popped in to my mind all revolved around using the phrase "my son". And that's when the power of words hit me.

MY SON. Connor is MY SON. Yes, I know, he's been my baby since he was conceived -- but how often do I ever stop to really think about it? Not often. I have so many cutesy names for him - but it all boils down to the fact that he is my son.

I can not explain the emotion that two word phrase evoked in me. It was so powerful and overwhelming that I just stopped and let it soak through me. Knowing he's my son is not about ownership because there are many things that are mine.

I think the phrase my son evoked such emotion in me is that regardless of how hard life gets sometimes, no matter how much I may get frustrated with work, money, or any other outside influences he is the one thing, the one thing in life that is truly, truly mine.

He shares my genes, my bloodline, my life... and he is the one in control. He is in control of my life, my love. Forever more I will do whatever it takes to make sure my son has the best life ever. We may not be able to give him riches, but we can give him safety, honesty, trust and love. And those are the things that no one else can give MY SON but me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made me cry... I remember thinking that with both my kids. They ARE powerful words, that you thought about and captured so perfectly for the rest of us. Great post!mp

Heather said...

Found your blog through Jennifer over at the Fosters. What a great post and way to sum up motherhood. I am in tears.

Congrats on your son, by the way.

Heather